Main Menu

single handing -- location of outboard controls when docking

Started by lockwoods, September 05, 2017, 12:49:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lockwoods

My dock and lift require coming into the dock starboard side to

I bought a mercury 5hp long-shaft Sailmaster – that has the clutch on the front
However, for single handing docking, the set up is awkward
I have to be leaning over the transom and facing backwards to manipulate the clutch – which makes docking difficult (not facing forward and at the transom) – in terms of picking up lines, fending off, or flying cleat maneuver

So I am thinking of trading in new motor in for the 8hp one that has clutch and throttle on the motor tiller -- and using a tiller extension in addition. That way, I can sit on the starboard side forward of the tillers and still manipulate everything – and be able to reach the dock lines, cleats etc.  (an alternative is buying remote box, cables etc for the 5 hp – but mounting is a problem, cables, etc

The Mercury 8 hp weighs 85 pounds vs 55 for the 5 hp (not including external fuel tank)

To what degree will this extra weight be a problem. All the discussion for Sunday cats I see is for 4 or 5 hp
Can I counter balance with a couple of water or sand bags forward

Anyone have relevent experience

Steve
Chesapeake Sunday Cat Newbie

Finbar Beagle

I use a torqeedo electric, and I did buy a remote throttle.  I have not mounted it as I cannot find a good Location where it will not catch a sheet, and usually this will occur at worse possible time.
you may have more options than I can find on my 19.

Then again, I still can't find a good place for a drink holder for the helmsman.  You have to have priorities.
Brian, Finbar Beagle's Dad

CP 19 MkII- Galway Terrapin, Hull 372
Northern Barnegat Bay, NJ

brackish

You might consider this.  I have no personal experience and don't know what they cost, but should be much less than the net exchange on a motor.   I would think 85 lbs is too much for a Suncat.  I went from 104 lbs. to 59 lbs. on a 23 and the trim and effort to lift was much improved.

http://powertiller.com/powertiller-tt/

John Fiedler

I've had the Power Tiller (old model) and their Simple Steering for four years now and both and invaluable.

waterwheels

how does the steering work, is it cables too. Looks pretty handy for sure.
Don

mattman

I don't think your problem is with the motor, by the time you are actually getting close to the dock, to get off, grab lines, and such you should be coasting in with the gear in neutral already, and just doing a few last minute rudder wags to finish slowing the boat and then coming into the dock, piling, or close to throw a line. The last wag of the tiller should have you at hardly any headway and bring the boat into the final resting position. You will have a few moments to get a line or two attached before wind, or current begins to affect the boat. Another options is coming in at about a 30 degree angle then making discrete sharp rudder turns to burn speed and align the boat. The last wag will occur when the bow is just off the dock. You should slide in right on the beam of the boat. if your slip is directly downwind you may even leave the outboard in reverse to achieve proper headway. If no reverse, then burn speed with a sharp turn downwind-then wagging as necessary to keep headway in check.  Btw a rule of thumb I was taught when using an inboard with reverse at a windward dock is to aim the bow where you want the stern to be parked, at a about boat length out shift to reverse and put the helm over and apply power to walking  the stern in. (think Capt. Ron and smile).  Oh and practice practice practice, on every new boat, I head out to an open area, toss a fender and spend an hour or so picking it up out of the water. You start to get a good feel for how your boat is going to respond to starts, stops, wind,....have your crew do this too, you never know when they may need to get an incapacitated skipper back home. Best of luck...btw if Roger says he says he saw me sideways and toast coming out of a slip one time... he might be right! Happens to everyone!

Joseph

This may sound primitive at the light of previous contributions on this subject, but I have been using for years a stick (actually a piece of a broken boat-hook) attached at one end to the gear lever on the starboard side of the 4HP Tohatsu. Its forward end reaches over the gunnel at the stern. To avoid having its forward end lose on the stern I hang it from the gallows using a short cord. It allows switching gears while at the tiller without even looking at the outboard engine (my son is a mechanic and he insists that to be a "motor" it would have to be electric...). I make use of that gear-shift extension when docking back at the marina, and reaching the gas handle of the Tohatsu's taller is less critical since at those times I would be at low speed at the most.

Hope this helps,

J.
"Sassy Gaffer"
SunCat 17 #365