Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Use Goal Post Trailer Guides to find "Float"

Started by Garyandjoanlee, July 11, 2017, 07:35:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Garyandjoanlee

Hey Boys & Girls:

Here is a simple trick I love for knowing exactly how far you need to back the trailer to know the exact depth when "float" happens! Of course this is valuable information for when you are recovering the boat back to the trailer.  I added a set of 40" goal posts to the trailer - which is great for helping center the boat as it returns to the trailer- but consider adding color coded PVC tape rings to those guide poles. When you back the trailer / boat into the lake, carefully note the exact moment it starts to float. Then simply note where the waterline is on the guide poles. Thats where the color rings come in!  At the end of the sailing day, back the trailer in to the same mark on the guide poles- maybe a bit more- and you will be right at the proper height to trailer. This is really nice for those with keel guides. Naturally, this will not work where tides are involved. Also- if you want to spend a few more bucks, use high reflectinv 3M tape and your trailer will be much more visible on the road-  So here is a pic:

UPDATE   UPDATE   UPDATE:   So I was wrong! Does not matter if the tide is out or in or the ramp is steeper in one place than the next- the boat will start to float off the trailer at the exact same mark on the goal post every time. So- all you smart-asses out there who thought you knew more than me were right! You did ;)
Gary & Joan Lee
Passing Wind
Com Pac 16 ll

Jon898

alsantini

Gary.  That is so simple and effective that I can not believe I have not done the same thing.  Love it.  I typically just dunk the trailer until the boat floats off.   Then I dunk the trailer until the bunks are mostly covered.  Kind of a launch and retrieve by the braille method. LOL  Now that I think about it, a buddy with a P-23 in Venice Florida has tape on the goal posts on his lift for the same reason.
I love the simple things that are effective.  Thanks,  Sail On.  Al

Garyandjoanlee

Al- Hope it works out for you too. Next time I will use 100% 3M reflective tapes.
Jon- It may not work out with tidal activity if, for example you launch at high tide and recover at low tide since the ramp may be at a different angle, i.e. a very steep drop at high tide but not at low tide when you need to back down much further
Have fun!
Gary & Joan Lee
Passing Wind
Com Pac 16 ll

Floridagent

But the tape is set in relation to the water level.  So, at high tide you may not have to back in as far to have the water level hit the tape.  The bunks and rollers will be at the same relative level to the surface of the water -- upon which the boat floats ????.  Am I missing something?
"Cay Cat"     (say "keycat")

brackish

Quote from: Floridagent on July 12, 2017, 10:24:31 AM
But the tape is set in relation to the water level.  So, at high tide you may not have to back in as far to have the water level hit the tape.  The bunks and rollers will be at the same relative level to the surface of the water -- upon which the boat floats ????.  Am I missing something?

Nope, don't think you are missing anything.  Almost all bodies of waters have variable water levels.  My Lake changes seasonally about 3'.  Thank goodness for floating docks.  The trailer indicator should always work providing the ramp angle is not variable or the water is so low that the ramp ends and you have drop off.

Just something that may help some folks, but in my case I know that my bunks have to be approximately 75% submerged.  Any more and the keel misses the guides, any less and it will be too hard to crank on.

DaleM

If not now..When?