a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

SPOT emergency location beacon

Started by alsantini, July 04, 2017, 11:14:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alsantini

I am not sure this topic has ever been discussed so here goes.  I carry on board SPOT always.  It will through satellite communication allow for 5 different functions. SOS, I am OK, tracking, emergency but not Coast Guard, and a programmed message.  I realize that many of you are on a lake where you can see all sides and having an emergency location beacon might not be even remotely necessary, but hit a big body of water, have difficulty and guess what.  There are different variations of location beacons available and they are pretty in-expensive, especially if they save your life just once.  SPOT sells between $75 - $145 with an annual fee of $145.  It is small, uses lithium batteries and is really easy to use.  My wife even took it out fishing on the Gulf last winter and used the track feature.  I followed her all day on my phone and later printed out a map of her day.  In case of emergency, my 2 kids, and wife get notified along with the Coast Guard, if I am on the Gulf.  If SPOT figures out that you are not on water they notify police.  As I get off the water I send out the pre-programmed notification.  Mine says "I am off the water and all is well on Off the Wind."
Just something to think about sailors.  I figure it to be cheap insurance.  A couple of times a week, in FL, there will be someone lost in the Gulf who would have benefitted from SPOT or some other emergency location beacon.  The new ones available are a long way from an EPERB but are way less expensive and really easy to use.
Just some of my random thoughts.......  Sail On

crazycarl

I purchased one in 2010 for a 6 week cruise I did in the keys. My wife was able to follow me as I pressed the the button every night when I anchored. It sent an email and text with a link to Google earth showing her exactly where I was.  Being waterproof, it can be attached to a lifevest and in the event of an overboard, your position can be tracked. Cheap insurance.
Oriental, "The Sailing Capitol of North Carolina".

1985 Compac 19/II  "Miss Adventure"
1986 Seidelmann 295  "Sur La Mer"

captronr

I saw one demonstrated at a sailing convention in AZ a few years ago.  Sean, the event director, was playing with it, and accidentally hit the 'emergency button' whatever it is called.

He turned it off right away, but about 15 minutes later, the local police arrived and walked into the convention hall where it had been activated.  Sean saw them walk in, and explained to them what happened.

I'd not thought about getting one for sailing, but now the admiral probably can't operate our Eclipse, I might reconsider.  I seldom am anywhere by myself, but if I were a hiker, cross country skier, etc, I think for sure I would have one.

Thanks for the reminder.  If you only used it one time, it would be well worth the $$$$.

Ron
"When the world ends, I want to be in KANSAS, because its 20 years behind the times."  Plagarized from Mark Twain

alsantini

I was listening to the news this AM and it mentioned a "boater" who blew an engine and drifted for 3 days.  He was out fishing 15 miles or so and got really lucky  that another fisherman came upon him.  The Coast Guard was looking for him in the wrong direction.  He also mentioned that his radio battery was dead!  duh
I think as I have gotten older and maybe NOT wiser, I have developed a healthy respect for Mother Nature and especially water!  I have a red ditch bag that is with me in the boat always.  It has a hand held compass, GPS, couple of flairs, wide brimmed hat, long sleeve shirt, 2 bottles of water, jar of peanut butter, a VHS radio, and of course SPOT.  Don't leave home without it.
I am not worried as I sail around Pistakee Lake in Northern Illinois, but the Gulf of Mexico is another issue.
Sail On,    Al

gmerrill

Al,

When I got my Precision, my brother bought a PLB.  I have to register it with the NOAA SARSAT every couple of years.
I'd never came close to needing it but I feel a whole lot more confident when I know it's close at hand.
Greg