a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Propellor hitting the rudder....

Started by captronr, July 11, 2017, 10:00:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

captronr

Have any of you purchased or fabricated a type of prop guard to keep the prop from dinging the rudder? 

In my current slip (which has round D ring attachments), I sometimes nudge against the dock, leave the motor in gear to hold it against the dock, to get a couple of lines attached.  Invariably, the rudder migrates to the prop and dings away.

I have a tiller tamer to install, but I also have new crew occasionally and it's easy for them to hit the rudder with the prop.

I'm tempted to get a 1/4" hunk of aluminum and fab something to keep the prop and rudder from hitting. 

Thanks.
Ron
"When the world ends, I want to be in KANSAS, because its 20 years behind the times."  Plagarized from Mark Twain

alsantini

On a friends P-21 he had the problem all the time and eventually fabricated a hunk of aluminum so the rudder and the motor turn at the same position.  I know you can buy one from West Marine too.
I have a couple of scars on my rudder from the same issue during the first year I owned the boat.  Usually when I am in tight quarters I turn the motor with the rudder.  Helps make the turn easier.  Our marina has really tight passage ways.  I put the centerboard half down and turn both the rudder and motor together which helps get me in and out.  Sail On.  Is the mastender system back together?

captronr

Hi Al,

Rich called me yesterday and parts are now shipped.  He did point out that as far as he knew, I was the only one who managed to put the parts together BACKWARDS.  I asked if that earned me a discount; no, but maybe a plaque recognizing my achievement.  He was fun to visit with...............

I think I'm going to see if the Admiral will advance me enough to buy a new motor.  Then I'll either fashion a link between the rudder and motor, or alternately, fashion an aluminum triangle I can bolt to the horizontal fin on the motor to keep the prop/rudder from dancing together.........

This week is mostly 100's for the highs; heat index at 1:30PM is 103F!

Take care,
Ron
"When the world ends, I want to be in KANSAS, because its 20 years behind the times."  Plagarized from Mark Twain