a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Furler Issue

Started by captronr, July 01, 2017, 05:13:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

captronr

When we derigged this time and unpinned the furler, the furler drum "unwound".    Today I looked at it and did a quick look at a CDI manual. 

Based on what I read here from other posters, I'm thinking a keeper or cotter pin or something broke or came out.

I tried to relocate the cover and drum, but it seemed to not move.   I'm guessing that by having the furler velcroed securely to the mast, that is precluding movement of the drum and cover. 

Will go back and study the manual some more. 

Pic of furler drum as it sits.

Ron
"When the world ends, I want to be in KANSAS, because its 20 years behind the times."  Plagarized from Mark Twain

Vectordirector

Hi,

I had similar issue while rolling the jib up under sail, something popped and the furler came apart.  I quickly installed the long pin in the front holes of the hinge to be on the safe side as the forestay was slack.  My sailing buddy thought the rig would come down until I showed him how I installed the long pin.  My guess was that on my long trailer voyage down from Chicago, which bounced it all around quite a bit, led to the loss of the pin.  There is a thread I put up on it here somewhere in the Eclipse section, with pics, if they are still there. 

Not sure if your issue is the same as mine.  After consulting the manual, which wasn't much help, I asked the man with much experience with the CDI furlers, Al Santini, sent him some pics, and he had the solution.  I wound up undoing the knots at the bottom of the jib and sliding it up enough to get the drum up enough to see what was happening.  Indeed it was a missing cotter pin under the drum.  I managed to put it back together with a new pin and it has been fine. 

I'm sure it isn't anything major, these furlers are simple and basically bulletproof.  You can't hurt it taking it apart as it all goes back together in the reverse manner.  I didn't even put the mast down when I fixed mine.   

Good luck, fair winds,

Vectordirector

Edit:  here is the link to the thread:  http://cpyoa.geekworkshosting.com/forum/index.php?topic=8020.0

2005 Eclipse #23  Sold

captronr

Thanks!

I'd found those posts and started to study them.  I think the solution will be simple. 

I found the CDI furler manual online, but it wasn't much help.

Ron
"When the world ends, I want to be in KANSAS, because its 20 years behind the times."  Plagarized from Mark Twain

alsantini

Ron.  Based on the pic, I do not see anything wrong.  You have the infamous cotter pin and it seems to be correctly installed.  The drum will slide up and down on the shroud and sometimes get caught.  Pull the drum down until the cotter pin/connection and the washer are inside the drum and you will be good to go.  The washer hangs up.  I usually have the issue by towing Off the Wind down to FL and back.  Seems all the moving around at highway speeds allows the washer outside the drum where it hangs up.  A little fiddling around gets it all back in fine shape.

captronr

Thanks Al!

I didn't recall the bottom of the drum cover being held tight agains the clevis.  Should there be a cotter pin/ring ding in there providing some separation?

The furler came apart as we lowered the mast last time.  I never recall a furler "unspooling" when removed from the attaching point.  This time mine did.  Prior to lowering the mast, the furler worked fine.

Looking at the CDI manual, the figures are not very clear in the details of assembly.   I'll have to wait til my rebuilt mast parts arrive to try to fix the furler.

Have a great fourth!
Ron