Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

CP16 Loose footed main outhaul system

Started by Chris D, July 08, 2017, 08:37:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris D

Hello all,

I was curious as to what folks have done to transition from a bolt rope system to a loose footed main outhaul system for a CP16 boom. Is there a DIY solution or is there a product out there that would fit the CP 16 boom track?
Thanks

Chris
"Ojos" Com-pac 16 #540,

Vipersdad

I would just tie a bowline with 1/4" double-braid to the sail grommet and then run the line through the eye on the end of the boom; after that bring the line back to the grommet and tie two half-hitches through the grommet and around the boom.  The two-half hitches will keep the clew from lifting up too far from the boom.  It takes longer to type this than it takes to do it.

V.
s/v  "MaryElla"   Com-Pac 19 / II  #436
Iceboat "Red Bird"--Polar Bear 10-Meter, Built 1953

Lake Winnebago, Lake Mendota, Lake Namakagon, Lake Superior.

"To Hutch, Gerry, Buck, and Clarkie--Who made it so much fun.".....Robert F. Burgess, Author-Handbook of Trailer Sailing 1984

Chris D

V.,
I appreciate the explanation. The method is simplicity at its finest.
Thank you,

Chris
"Ojos" Com-pac 16 #540,

Damsel19

On my 19 and my 16 there is a small block creating a 2 to one advantage and an out haul cleat on the side of the boom.  We just stopped putting the bolt rope in.  And never had any issue with the clew not being held tight to the boom.  Being a triangle the foot of the sail will always tension up straight and take a natural set.  I asked our local sail maker about it.  He said we all worry to much and to just try it. You can always put the bolt rope back in next time.  He has seen only a couple of sails curl oddly at the bottom, which can be fixed at the loft but mostly he said don't worry.  I much prefer the loose foot.  It furls Better, reefs better and feels better.  (when you reef don't tie around the boom.)

Yamaha33410

I'm all about quickly setting up the boat and launching. My main has a slug that rides in the bolt rope track of the boom that I feed in and run the sail down the boom. I have a cleat on the starboard side aft/mid end of the boom, I have a single block with shackle I leave attached to boom. I leave the line cleated to the boom, through the block, and then it has a shackle on the end tied with a bowline, I just put that shackle on my sail and its all setup. I usually run it fairly tight since I believe my main is blown out a bit(probably a lot I'm just too naive or cheap to care LOL) I rarely adjust it when I actually have wind in the sails. If its breezy, which is about 15+mph in my neck of the woods, I run it as tight as I can reasonably get it...

1981 Compac 16

-West Palm Beach, FL