a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Fire Extinguisher on a Sunday Cat

Started by john trussell, July 31, 2017, 04:47:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

john trussell

Apparently the CG requires a permanently mounted fire extinguisher. Anyone have any thoughts on where to mount an extinguisher and how to mount and extinguisher? Since I don't cook or smoke, the likely source of fire is the motor/fuel system.

JohnT

brackish

I have no idea but can give you one piece of advice.  Find a place where it is accessible but out of the way and mount it so that the safety clip cannot be snagged inadvertently.  Mine, on my 23 was not and in the middle of meal prep, I managed to fill the cabin with whatever is in that canister.  Had snagged the safety clip earlier in the day and hit the handle later.  Funny after the fact, but not so much when it happened.

Bilge Rat

I mounted a small Mariner 5 extinguisher on top of the step when you enter the cabin. I tucked in back under the lip of the entryway on the side. I used velcro mounting to attach the plastic bracket to the top of the step.
'09 Sun Cat, '06 Catalina 16.5, '00 Lido 14, '84 Holder 14

Joseph

I have two, each hanging inside the cabin on both sides of the cabin door - i.e., easy to reach both from inside the cabin and from the cockpit.

J.
"Sassy Gaffer"
SunCat 17 #365

john trussell

I ended up mounting the extinguisher on the inside of the companionway. It is out of sight, yet reasonably accessible. Since the most likely source of fire is the engine and fuel tank, this seemed like a good location. Hopefully, I'll never find out if it is actually good enough!