a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Trailer hitch height

Started by rbh1515, April 12, 2015, 09:00:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rbh1515

Should be getting my Horizon Day Cat in a few weeks.  Just had a hitch put on my wife's SUV.  Need to figure out which receiver to get... Straight, 2" drop etc.  how high is your hitch off the ground (height of the surface of the hitch where the ball attaches from the ground)?
Thanks!
Rob
2015 Horizon Day Cat, Waters End

Tom L.

Rob, sorry I can't speak for your boat exactly. For my Sun Cat the 2" ball is 18-3/4" off the ground with no load. I tow with a Ford Edge so the springs are fairly stiff. I don't really see much travel down when I hook up. Most important is the tongue weight should be 10 to 15% of the total trailer weight. That will reduce fishtailing.

Tom L.
Present boat, Menger 19 "Wild Cat"    O'Day 25, Montego 25, Catalina 30, Tartan 37, Catalina 380, Mariner 19, Potter 19, Sun Cat

rbh1515

Tom,
Thanks for the info.  I think I should be good if the trailer is fairly level when trailering.  Lets see if someone with a Horizon Cat has a measurement.
Rob
2015 Horizon Day Cat, Waters End

Andre

I realize that this is a 2 year old thread but wanted to post this info in case someone finds it helpful.

I recently bought a new 2017 Magic Tilt trailer direct from Com-Pac for my newly acquired HC.  With a 2" ball the height from the ground to the center of the drawbar was about 15" with boat on the trailer.  I rented a Ram 1500 pretty basic 2 wheel drive model from U-Haul for the tow.  Unloaded, the height to center of receiver was about 18" so I bought a 3 1/4" drop drawbar which worked out perfectly for the 115 mile tow.

Andre