a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Eclispe's Capabilty as Coastal Cruiser

Started by gmerrill, June 14, 2017, 08:08:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gmerrill

Does the Eclispe have enough room for a 3 day coastal cruise as relates to food/water provisions and fuel.  This would be for 2 people. I'm taking delivering of my new Eclispe in mid August?  Would like to hear from eclispe owners who take coastal cruises that last several days as relates to comfort and weather capability of the boat
Greg

Mike K

Sure it would make a fine coastal cruiser for a couple of days if you don't mind "camping" type accommodations. I have a Precision 21 which is about the same size as an Eclipse, and it's fun for 2-3 days.  I'm going on a 3 day cruise over the July 4 holiday with my wife. We have to stay in a marina as she refuses to use a porta- potty at all.

For 2 people, my guess is that Porta-potty capacity would be the limiting factor. Try to "go" elsewhere while on land, and you should be fine. You can bring extra gas in a separate can for backup, but remember to keep it in the cockpit (not in cabin) for safety. And you can store lots of gallon bottles of water  and food anywhere.

Good luck with the new Eclipse!  Where will you be sailing?
Mike K.  2015 Eclipse  Previously owned Com-Pac Legacy, Precision 21, MacGregor 21 Seaward 25

gmerrill

Mike
Along the MS Sound. The Gulf of Mexico between Pensacola and Gulfport Ms. Destin Fl and Panama City. ICW has some appeal but that's mostly motoring. I hate to hear the motor run. I laugh when you said your wife wouldn't use the porta potti. Mine wouldn't either. I'm coming from a P23 so the less space is something I'm going to have to deal with.
Greg

alsantini

Greg.  My wife and I have done 3 days in the Eclipse.  Sailed from Englewood, FL to Cabbage Key to Coya Costa to Cabbage Key and back to Englewood.  Plenty of room for traveling but honestly, wife wanted no part in staying on board so we were in the Cabbage Key Resort....  Does it still count as a 3 day sail?
The water tank is plenty large (5 Gal) and the porta potti hold plenty.. 
The boat is plenty capable of handling the water you will run into.  I sail all the time in the Gulf of Mexico and/or Charlotte Harbor.  Wave action is great.  Last winter I had a Lake Michigan sailor on board with 3-4 foot rollers.  He mentioned that he would not take his 25 foot boat out in conditions like this and was really impressed in how she handled.  I have complete faith in the boat and I know you will love her.
Al

brackish

Curious as to the motivation for downsizing from a 23 to an Eclipse with coastal cruising as a goal. Trailering and setup come to mind.   My wife and I have taken a few three day cruises in the very waters you are talking about in our 23 and we find it marginal with regard to space, not so much for us but for stuff.  Takes a lot of planning to get it right.

With regard to Porta Potties my wife also does not like them.  And neither do I, not their use, but dragging that nasty holding tank out of the boat to dump and recharge.  I switched to WAG bags which both of us are very happy with.  If your new Eclipse has a space for one, you should consider the switch.  I leave mine set up in the space alloted for it, but it can fold down and store in a smaller area. Thread on that conversion.

http://cpyoa.geekworkshosting.com/forum/index.php?topic=7482.0

The good news is that on one of the BEER cruises in Pensacola, I slipped a night in a hotel in the middle of the cruise.  She later said she preferred to stay on the boat.

kickingbug1

one thing you want to watch out for is the possibility of being hijacked by terrorists who want to use the eclipse as a floating bomb. first rule of thumb, do not  offer to give sailing lessons to suspicious strangers you meet at the dock.
oday 14 daysailor, chrysler musketeer cat, chrysler mutineer, com-pac 16-1 "kicknbug" renamed "audrey j", catalina capri 18 "audrey j"

captronr

Gee, someone should write a book about that possibility, right Al?

Have fun,
Ron
"When the world ends, I want to be in KANSAS, because its 20 years behind the times."  Plagarized from Mark Twain

gmerrill

Thanks for the input. I sold my P23 because I was stupid. That's partly true. I was paying slip fees and imsurance was higher because I had it on the coast. I was not sailing it much and it was to much trouble to trailer.  As soon as I sold I said need another sailboat. Research led. E to the Eclispe.

waterwheels

My wife and I did a 14 day trip on the Rideau Canal in Ontario from Kingston to Marrickville (near Ottawa). It was all motoring in protected waters but we are still married....
And she did us the porta-potti.

Don
Living Water