a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Headin' to the lake this weekend

Started by captronr, June 08, 2017, 07:04:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

captronr

Got several mods done to the boat, and cleaned it up.  Weather looks great, so hoping for some time on the new boat.

I finished the ladder for the bow.   Not a real good pic of it, but it is sturdy! 

Also moved the goal posts on the trailer forward as much as I could behind the fenders.  Hope this will help put the keep in the right place.

"When the world ends, I want to be in KANSAS, because its 20 years behind the times."  Plagarized from Mark Twain

alsantini

Looking great Ron.  I hope the sailing is spectacular.  I am leaving Orlando tomorrow early evening.  Been here since Sunday doing a few classes.  I am ready to be home. Home Friday late, unpack Sat, pack Sat/Sun and Monday leave for Yellowstone with Carol.  By the time we are home it will be 3 weeks without sailing.....  withdrawal symptoms setting in soon.  Enjoy and Sail On.    Al

captronr

The sailing was excellent, but getting to it had its struggles.

Back last Nov, I broke the mast raising tang on the mast.  Took it off and had it rewelded.  Didn't get back to the boat until March, and installed repaired part in no time at all.  Wasn't able to check it out that trip though.  All the bolt holes lined up, so I never imagined I'd installed it backwards.  And I never turned to look at the mast base, which should have told me it was backwards.

Next trip was this past weekend.   Readied the mast for raising, had everything hooked up, but something was hanging up.  Kept checking and couldn't find anything, so we kept trying to raise it.   DUH, then I saw it:  I'd installed the top half of the mast raising system backwards, so the tang was at the front (as I thought I'd remembered it). 

By this time, I'd bent both halfs of the joint BADLY.   After a long self criticism, I took the parts off and pondered.  Figured I could try to salvage them, so went to town and bought a large metal clamp and a big hammer. 

Utilizing the trailer frame, Clamping, beating, and bending got the parts back in a reasonable semblence of how they should look.  Reinstalled them, and with great effort, managed to get everything lined up. 

THEN the mast raised EASILY!

Launched and had a great sail Sat evening.  It was our 39th wedding anniversary, so it was very relaxing.

Very windy on Sunday, so we hauled the boat out and left it in mast up storage.  Headed home about noon for the 4 hour drive.  Got about 20 miles, and blew a truck tire.  UGH.  AAA said they could be there in an hour.  These truck tires are so massive, I didn't think I could remove the spare by myself.  Well, 2 hours later, AAA arrived and I saw how easy it was to get the spare off.  And my next purchase will be a battery operated impact driver.  With that and my hydraulic jack on board, I figure I'll never blow another truck tire. 

And yes, a new set of tires will go on the truck this week.........

Pic is of our sunset sail.

Regards,
Ron
"When the world ends, I want to be in KANSAS, because its 20 years behind the times."  Plagarized from Mark Twain

hoddinr

Glad you had a good sail, but sorry about the troubles.

I bought a battery powered impact driver and thin walled sockets from Harbor Freight.  I think the driver was only $59 on sale.  I would recommend charging it up overnight before a trip.  They do work.

Ron

captronr

Good idea on the impact driver.  My son has one and loves it.

Ron