a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Stainless transformation

Started by CurtTampa, December 11, 2015, 07:22:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CurtTampa

This may be common knowledge but I just discovered a product that is dirt cheap and WORKS. The transformation of bow pulpit and stanchions is nothin short of miraculous. Rare is it that products actually work. I was standing in the cleaner isle at west marine looking over the labels of $14.00-$30.00 pints of potions and concoctions all promising to restore a brilliant luster to my stainless. A salty looking curmudgeon man whispered as he shuffled by "Barkeepers Friend - $3.00 a bottle at any grocery store save your money for rum". Thank you Poseidon.

[/URL]

HeaveToo

Thanks for the tip.  I have heard this before but it is nice to see it work!
Døyr fe, døyr frender
Døyr sjølv det sama
men ordet om deg aldreg døyr
vinn du et gjetord gjevt

Salty19

Been using this stuff for years. 

Great for glass and porcelain too...like baking ware, crockpots, and the like. 
Shines up those chrome/stainless pot/pan lids, coffee pots, etc without much effort too.

I have used it on the boat to help remove stubborn stains, granted "hull cleaners" like FSB work better.

Be SURE to rinse the boat well when using this.  Also wear protection for eyes and hands.

Yep, makes stainless really shiny without a lot of effort.  Good stuff.
"Island Time" 1998 Com-pac 19XL # 603

Damsel19

One of our local old salts, whose profession is a sign painter (and gold leaf artist) always says he prepares every transom with Bar Keepers, as it is the the only thing that consistently removes all the contamination that would ruin his hard work.

Tim Gardner

Curt,
In the picture of the pulpit is appears there is a crack and corrosion on the weld.  What say you?
TG
Never Be Afraid to Try Something New, Remember Amateurs Built the Ark.  Professionals Built the Titanic (update) and the Titan Submersible.

CurtTampa

It is possible - ill check it today. I have some concerns over the welds in several spots especially on the boarding ladder - ill replaced the teak tread steps and will be weight testing (220 pounds unless this diet works) when the water warms up. :) thanks for the good eye.

relamb

Do you wax the stainless after polishing with the barkeepers friend?
Rick
CP16 CP23 CP27
Zionsville, IN