- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

C23 on a mooring

Started by Leroy, June 12, 2006, 10:51:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leroy

Hello, am new to sailing and  the c23 is my first boat.  I have
been lucky enough to get a permanent mooring in Miami's
Biscayne Bay. Would welcome any suggestions on how to keep a boat safely for long periods on a mooring ball. Thanks, Leroy.

ramble on

How long will you go without checking on your boat? I would be sure to install an automatic, electric bilge pump with a seperate battery. A solar cell to keep battery charged would also be a must.

I have never kept a boat on a mooring but from my reading I would have mooring dived on and checked by a professional. I would also start over with new pendant unless your 23 happened to come with one that is almost new.

Will you be able to get to her before a named storm hits? If not, a roller furling jib may get more damage than if you have a hanked on one you will have stored below.

Cal Hamilton marine 800 639 2715 and ask them to send you a free catalog. It has a diagram of a mooring and items you will need now or later. And, they are much cheaper than west marine.

You will do great!

Ramble On

Bob23

I keep my 1985 23/2 on a mooring in Surf City, NJ for the last 2 summers and my SeaPearl for the last 5 summers. As mentioned, be sure the mooring itself is adequate to hold the boat. Visually inspect the chain, swivels and shackles for wear. I had my Pearl break loose twice because I didn't realize how fast these parts wear from abrasion.
   Iv'e had great results using a steadying sail (sometimes called an anchoring sail) This sail hangs off the backstay, is tied forward to the mast and keeps the boat from swinging back and forth for the most part. It will alleviate a lot of stress on the boat and mooring components. See www.bannerbaymarine.com.
   Warm winds, Bob23