a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Yanmar 1GM10 Zincs

Started by Jeff, October 29, 2016, 02:55:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

Hi All. I'm going to replace zinc and curious how others have been able to access it. Thanks Jeff

Potcake boy

Jeff,

Unless your zinc is located within your vessel (which would negate it's function) then you can either haul it up on your trailer, have it hauled at the marina, or go diving. It is normally held in place by two allen head screws and should be easily removed. A good ground is needed, so be sure to clean the drive shaft thoroughly before installing the new one.

Not sure about the 1cylinder engine, but my 2 cylinder has a 1" shaft.
Ron
Pilot House 23 - GladRags
Punta Gorda Florida

A mouse around the house - but much hotter on the water

Mas

Hey Jeff,

I think Potcake is referring to the shaft zinc at your prop. Are you referring to the pencil zinc that most raw water cooled motors have? The 1GM10 does have such a zinc. Don't bother replacing it till spring if you are winterizing it as the antifreeze will do it in.
S/V  'Mas' ' 87 CP16/2

Jeff

Yes. That's what I was referring to. I have located it and will do in spring when I replace belt. It's a tight fit to get at it. Thanks

Tom L.

I have a new to me yanmar 1GM10. Where is the pencil zinc located? I didn't know it had one.

Tom L.
Present boat, Menger 19 "Wild Cat"    O'Day 25, Montego 25, Catalina 30, Tartan 37, Catalina 380, Mariner 19, Potter 19, Sun Cat

Jeff

It's attached to a plate that is bolted with 2 bolts to Engine block between starter motor and alternator on port side. Remove the plate and the small pencil zinc is bolted to plate on the inside face.
My plan in Spring is to get better access by loosening alternator, replacing zinc and alt belt then re setting alternator in place.

Jeff

So I had another look at replacing small zinc anode in the 1gm10. I see where it is and wonder if any HC owners with this engine has replaced it before? Getting at it looks tricky - wondering if there is a way without removing other components like starter and alternator to get at it. Jeff