a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

stuffing box, or packing gland

Started by Tom V, March 07, 2011, 08:37:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom V

Do it yourself or have pro do it? Great to see this part of site being used!

CaptRon28

It's not hard to do, especially if the boat is out of the water. Just make sure you get the right size, clean out the old material, and adjust the nut so that the water SLOWLY drips when the shaft is turning. If you adjust it right, the dripping should just about stop when the shaft is stationary.
Ron Marcuse
2007 Horizon Cat (no name yet)
2008 Telstar 28 "Tri-Power"

capt_nemo

Also, check and adjust the nut on new packing after a few hours of shaft turning. Inspect at regular intervals thereafter.

It's easy, you can do it!

Look at it as yet another opportunity to lavish some TLC on your beloved boat.

Tom L.

What size packing does a  H.Cat have. Is the shaft 1"??

Tom L.
Present boat, Menger 19 "Wild Cat"    O'Day 25, Montego 25, Catalina 30, Tartan 37, Catalina 380, Mariner 19, Potter 19, Sun Cat

deisher6

Hey Tom V:  I would, and have done it myself on our C-27.  Captains Ron and Nemo are right on as usual with their advice.  I would add that I would do it when the boat is pulled and that I would use this product the next time that I replace the stuffing.  WPT Graphtex Ultra (GTU) Flax Shaft Packing.  It was recommended to me by the mechanic that just replaced the transmission in our boat.
regards charlie

Tim Gardner

One drop every 30 seconds is sufficient  to keep the shaft cool and lubed.  When the shaft stops turning, the gland will not drip.
TG
Never Be Afraid to Try Something New, Remember Amateurs Built the Ark.  Professionals Built the Titanic (update) and the Titan Submersible.