a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

A short sail out on the ocean and a look at some Rich Boys Toys

Started by Aldebaran_III, January 25, 2017, 10:27:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aldebaran_III

A great day for a sail out on the patch between St.Maarten and Saba. Plus we get to look at some of the major hardware anchored in Simpson Bay.
I still think we get more fun out of our 20ft Horizon cat than some of these people do with their multi million dollar boats ships!

https://youtu.be/_Gr4rg8aetM

Cheers,
Derek

Bilge Rat

Beautiful. I think the word you're looking for is yachts.  And your com-pac is also a yacht, incidentally, so named by the makers.
I like how you stow your bimini over the hatch as opposed to the transom.  I wonder if you could stow the bimini the same way on a Sun Cat?  I removed mine because stowing it on the transom got in the way of the rear boom sheeting which my boat has.

-Bilge
'09 Sun Cat, '06 Catalina 16.5, '00 Lido 14, '84 Holder 14

Aldebaran_III

Glad you liked it.
Our HC came from the factory with the Bimini stowed aft, but it stows forward with no modifications and we find it to be much less in the way. There's a good chance it would work on the Suncat, worth a try anyway.
Only slight downsides....you have to swing the boom out a little further when raising the bimini and, in the down position, you have to reach under it to unlock the cam cleats.

Cheers, Derek

rbh1515

Derek,
Great video.  Your conditions remind me of where I sail on Lake Michigan (in the summer).  Similar wind and wave action.  Glad to see you don't reef at 15 knots.  My HDC seems to sail comfortably in 15-18 knots without a reef.
Cool yachts in the video...but, you didn't tell us what you would charge for a week!
Rob
2015 Horizon Day Cat, Waters End

Aldebaran_III

Hi Rob,

same here, it has to be a solid 18 knots or more before we reef. I find the boat feels sluggish in the lulls with a reef in.
If the Admiral asks how strong the wind is I usually subtract 5 knots----shhhhh----confidential!
The really rich guys don't charter at all, so no prices. Does that make me one of them? (I wish!).
Cheers, Derek